Monday, May 23, 2011

I've Done My Good Deed Today

Occasionally I get old quilt tops from friends that need to be quilted.  I have worked on this one for some time (because it was handwork). 
It is tied and double-knit fabric.  The backing is purple cotton that is probably from the 30's-40's.  I haven't seen that color for some time.  I folded the backing over to the front, doubled it and stitched with a decorative stitch on the machine.  I think it added a nice touch.  My friend was given this (and another quilt that I quilted for her daughter's wedding that was a dutch girl/boy) and she wants to let her mom know that she got them finished.  This will be used and will be a good quilt to keep you warm in the winter.  I have many double knit squares and may have to make my own one day.  Double knit is a fabric from the past and I don't see it making a come back, so to use what I have to preserve it would be good.  My grandmother made several flower garden pattern quilts (her favorite pattern to make) out of double knit.  They are soooo heavy to sleep under, but boy do they keep you warm.

It is always a good thing to get some of the quilts that were made in the past finished for the families to enjoy.  So many people have quilt tops in the top of the closet.  I too have a couple that need to be finished.  Not ony quilted, but the top needs to be completed.  I also need to finish my quilts so that they will not have to be sent to another quilter to be completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment