I'm finally getting a kitchen island. I found a really old china hutch that was made around here I think in the 1920's from what the guy told me about it. It is in really rough shape. When we brought it home a couple of months ago, we stored it in my quilting studio. With this being a long weekend, we took an extra day off in hopes that we can get several things done. We moved the base outside to start working. It is solid wood and very heavy. We removed all the drawers so that it would be lighter to move. I forgot to stick the drawers back in and get a good before picture. Jim stood it on end for me to start stripping. We only need to do the two sides and the front. So here are a few pics.
Here is Jim working on the back.
I got started stripping and even though we got chemical resistant gloves, it was eating through right fast. So I went to the nearest hardware store to get a heavy duty chemical glove. Found them and got started again. The varnish is a bit stubborn coming off. I expected that. We are going be sanding so Jim says no problem. It looked like rain and we were feeling a little mist, so we had to haul it all back inside and quit for the night much earlier than what I wanted. But that gave Jim time to get the fertilzer on the ground. As it always goes, since we moved it inside, the rain did not come. However, it is sprinkling this morning so now we don't have to water the yard. The pool is now open, so hopefully it will warm up today and I can go for a swim.