Sunday, January 11, 2009

GROW YOUR OWN

I've have received a few catalogs in the mail tauting, "Grow Your Own" (fruit). A couple of years ago, we purchased two blueberry bushes, a cherry tree and a peach tree. We have gotten some blueberries; not enough to do anything with other than eat them as you pick them. Some kind of worm at the leaves off of the cherry tree as soon as we planted it. Last year I think some kind of storm came through and took care of the blossoms. The peach tree however, gave us great amount of peaches. The peaches are soooo tasty and juicy. I made preserves with them last year and we ate several also. This is planting and pruning time in my neck of the woods. So, I went to the nursery today and bought several fruit trees/vines. Superman, WOW Child and College Kid dug the holes for two trees and the blueberry bushes before I got home. They did not know what I was going to be bringing back. I got another Red Globe peach, an apple tree (Black Arkansas I think), a golden raspberry, a red raspberry, two more blueberry bushes (Climax and Tifton Blue), and two thornless blackberries. Superman also wanted a pear tree (for the deer, we are pear eaters, but the deer are). I got a bear-root Oriental. The brochure I had said it was aromatic. I am sure that will draw the deer to our field! Can't wait for summer to get here and see if I have anything other than my peaches and handful of blueberries. Yum, Yum!

We are also planning on putting in a vegetable garden. It is time to be plotting and preparing the soil. Hopefully, the weather will be as nice as it was today (made it to the 50's) and I can get out and do some digging. I don't mind doing the work, I just let the boys do it if they are here.

We also have chickens. I love my chickens. They started laying around Thanksgiving. I have five left (after coyotes). I watch them the best that I can to keep them. I enjoy having them in the spring/summer months as they keep the bugs down near the house. But then, they also scratch and dig everywhere.

Superman is also digging and moving trees this weekend. He has some cedars and others that he is moving for the deer and block the view of the neighbors. We are working on putting in a wildlife managment area on our back 16 acres. Hopefully, one day we can build back there also. He has plotted out where he will have feed plots, deer feeders, build the trees back up for shelter, etc. We have an areial map that he has maked everything on, except the house to be. That is a hope for, but don't know if it will actually happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment