Saturday, September 29, 2012

Motorcycle Quilt

I looked all over for a motorcyle quilt pattern.  Couldn't find one, so I had to draw one.  I decided not to connect them so I drew it out, copied and enlarged my drawing to get it big enough for the border.  Then I took the copy and sewed without thread at my sewing machine.  I used the Quilt Pounce to get chalk on the quilt so I could see.  Let me tell you that this quilt is different from most that I quilt for people.  She only wanted me to do the border.  The batting she used behing the middle panel is the fat, comforter poly-type.  She hand quilted (outlined) the design on the panel.   Nothing was under the border.  I told her to stitch the batting down so it wouldn't be migrating while I was trying to quilt.  She likes lots of battring so then there is a double layer of batting behind it all.  Then to my surprise, the backing must have spandex in it.  I am sure whoever is getting this, will enjoy it.  I did my best.  And with all the batting, it is very heavy.
Here is image after the stencil was chalked.
 
Here it is off the frame.  It has not been trimed yet.  I don't do that I let the quilt owner trim the quilts.

 
Here is one quilted on the side.

 
 
After quilting 20 of them, I got pretty good at it.  It has been raining almost all day long.  Not  a hard rain, but a good soaking rain.  It was so needed.  My next project is to set up an Etsy shop.  I have a lot of lace and trim to sell.  Many pieces will be good for crazy quilts.  Have a good weekend.
 

2 comments:

  1. Nice, nice, NICE! You did a fabulous job on the motorcycle border. My sister would sell her soul for a quilt like this. She owns 2 Harleys, and I'm going to email her the link to this post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I kept the design so if I ever needed to do a motorcycle again, I could.

      Delete